Thursday, August 16, 2018

Hotter

It was another beautiful day.  A pristine tiger swallowtail breakfasted on the milkweed.  I think it had just emerged and fortunately it visited before the territorial hornet was up.  It hung around so long I tried making videos, but I need something to steady the camera. A frowsty-looking hummer also needed an energy drink. 

I finally got into the pool in the late morning and found a frog in the skimmer again.  This one hopped back into the pool but eventually I caught it and made it pose for pictures.  I also rescued three click beetles and one sidewalk tiger beetle.  And I fished out little bees or wasps or hoverflies, I don't know which. 

After lunch, I saw a bird grasshopper on the wall outside.  A black swallowtail laid eggs on the skeletal parsley.  A saddlebags guarded our airspace.  A monarch passed by and I saw a skipper, but not such a variety as yesterday.  The hornet chased a threadwaisted wasp away from the milkweed. 

Hummers disputed possession of the feeder.  A couple of doves pecked around the patio.  The goldfinch paid a visit to the ant moat. Sunset tinted contrails and the moon seemed fuzzy with haze. 


No comments:

Post a Comment