Saturday, August 18, 2018

Sweaty

When I got up a squirrel was doing upside down pushups on a branch of the redwood.   Then it began to frantically jerk its tail.  My best guess is that it was in the mood for sex.  A molting hummer got an early breakfast. 

Knowing I planned on registering voters in the afternoon, I got into the pool early.  But I was too late for two frogs and a skink.  I hope they were not the forerunners of a plague of dead frogs like last year.  Outside the library, while we waited for people to register, I saw a saddlebags, a Halloween pennant, and a yellow bodied dragonfly.  A monarch and a red spotted purple flitted around the liriope.  What I didn't see was anyone to register.  Fortunately there was a breeze because I was quite sweaty by the time I was through.  Cumulus clouds streamed out of the West under higher cirrus clouds that looked like a faint thumbprint.

Not long after I got home the clouds congealed into a stormy-looking sky.  The goldfinch came for water.  A hummer ignored it, but not the chickadee on the seed feeder.  Some birds played with the wind gusts while others flapped madly to get somewhere.  A tiger swallowtail fed on the milkweed.

On the front patio, I found two different kind of potter wasp nests.  Wind whipped the trees but nothing else happened till around 6:30pm when a few sprinkles fell.  Rain began in earnest around 7pm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment