Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Food

Hummers were hungry, as always.  Squirrels, too.  A red spotted purple, however, was more interested in leaving progeny on the cherry tree.  A tattered skimmer dragonfly rested on one stake perch and a blue dasher on the other. 

I counted nine monarch caterpillars in the morning.  Only one was left in the afternoon because there was nothing left to eat.  I hope the largest ones were ready to pupate, but I fear they just wandered off to starve. Should I have killed half of them so the remaining ones would have enough food?

Fortunately the wren family posed no such ethical dilemma.  It was fun watching their parent show them the feeder and poke food into their gaping beaks.  They investigated nearby plants and seemed to find bugs to catch,  Speaking of which, I presented a beetle to the mantis but all it did was back away.

Scale insects appeared on one stalk of bolted parsley.  My best guess is that they were lecanium scales.  Odd that they were just on the one stalk and odder still that they should appear now after decades of growing parsley.

I caught a glimpse of a skink on the lower patio. A bumblebee loved the lavender flowers.  The sasanqua camellia put out its first flower of the Fall season.  And I finally got some decent shots of the crescent moon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment