Monday, September 16, 2019

Pool party

Hummers acted suspicious toward the feeder.  The creek had that placid Autumn morning look. 

I soaked the mountain mint, the roses, and the hibiscus in neem oil.  We shall see.  A bumblebee enjoyed the zinnias.  Another camellia flower opened.  

A very ungrateful skink did all it could to avoid rescue from the water including running around on my shoulders as though I was a Lyft it had called.  But I won.  There were also two green frogs, one big, one little, that I tried to convince to stay out of the pool.   The water was dusty with tiny flying insects, some of which wanted blood. 

A mockingbird was in the beautyberry bush, then flew to the red cedar and hopped around the branches over me as I floated, camera-less.  Blue jays flew together from one oak to another.  Some of them visited a knot on one limb that I suspect collects water.  I would need a drone with a camera to find out.  A Carolina wren found the mealworms. 

After dark an opossum visited.  It did not pay attention to the mealworms, which surprised me.  It seemed more interested in fallen sunflower seeds.  A green lacewing rested on the window.


No comments:

Post a Comment