Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Still sunny

A Carolina wren was up at dawn.  I woke up a little after 5am and saw the waning crescent moon through the window, but when I went outside after the sun rose, I had a hard time seeing it in daylight, and then an even harder time getting it in focus!  Out of two dozen shots only three weren't a fuzzy smear,

Nothing removed the drowned mantis, nor did it revive.  A variegated fritillary fluttered around the violets, which were not in bloom.  I would guess laying eggs but I've never seen a caterpillar on the violets.  A Carolina grasshopper (Dissosteira carolina) had gone for a swim even though it was missing a hind leg.  

 Curiously, a lot of fish were jumping in the creek.  I saw one pop free of the surface six or eight times.  But I was always too late for anything but the ripples.   An egret flew over the water.  The first time I just got a blob but my timing was on target for the next.  

A moth or skipper visited the mountain mint.  It looked like a very pale duskywimg.  


No comments:

Post a Comment