Friday, September 6, 2019

Hurricane Dorian

The windows were a mess of leaf shreds and rain streaks, so photography was difficult.  During lulls in the wind, I saw a hummer hoping the feeder had reappeared.  I tossed some seeds out on the patio and annoyed a mockingbird on the ground by the parsley.  It took off and I withdrew a wet arm.  Cardinals found the seeds but the chickadees kept looking for the feeder.  The wind was gusty but the rain was more steady, not too heavy but never pausing.

The tide was way up in the yard.  Occasionally egrets flew low over the creek.  I had to depend on glimpses when the wind tossed the tree limbs out of the way, but it looked to me like the lake and the creek were meeting on this end of the dam.   I couldn't tell whether the water was that high, or whether the dam washed out.  There were people out looking from both sides - the ones standing on the dam were idiots.

Dorian was down to a Cat 1 after hitting Cape Hatteras which deflected it to the Northeast.  Thus we were only in the tropical storm umbra for wind but right in line for rain and surge.  The wind shifted direction around 3pm which I assume means the eye slid past us. The rain stopped soon after and I went out to see what the storm had left.  The creek was extremely high and downstream it met the water in the lake, covering the nearest portion of the dam.  The same dam that was scraped clean of vegetation this summer.

I worked on cleaning the pool while the birds discussed the lack of dinner. K put the seed feeder and the hummer feeder back out and the wine seemed to be tapering off.  Cardinals, chickadees, and hummingbirds showed up quickly.  The overcast brought on an early twilight and dark. 


No comments:

Post a Comment