Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Humid

The windows ere fogged and the patio chairs dripped with dew.  We started preparing for the  arrival of Hurricane Dorian.  The sky was white but the sheet of cloud was thin enough that the day was sunny.  Fluffy cumulus clouds moved below the overcast. 

Light blue morning glories were blooming all over.  Titmice visited the seed feeder and hummers came for liquid refreshment.  A squirrel's muzzle was stained with pecan hull juice.  The wrens were back.  

I caught a glimpse of a shy red bellied woodpecker before it took off.  While I was taking pictures of a fledgling wren, between one click and the next, its perch was taken by a male house finch.  He almst seemed to be saying, aren't I cute too?

Two skinks a-swimming will live thanks to me.  I found a couple of drowned monarch caterpillars and discovered that the swamp milkweed had been stripped of leaves.  Then I found a live caterpillar hustling along so I relocated it to what may be a milkweed sprout. The mantis continued to haunt the rosebush. 

The beauty berries were all shades of green, red, or purple.  A snake swam downstream but I didn't get the camera refocused before the salt bushes hid it.  Later, a pair of mallards preened along the water's edge.  And a mockingbird feasted on the beauty berries, but by then the light was fading. 


No comments:

Post a Comment