Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Frogs

The hibiscus was still putting on a show thanks to the Neem Oil.  Hummers arrived before the dew dried.  After lunch, a black swallowtail flitted around the rue.


I found two frogs in the pool, one alive and one dead.  Pool water would be a better analogy for incremental danger than water in a pot on the stove.  It seems that frogs cannot detect chlorine or whatever it is in the pool water that kills them.  The third frog was sitting outside the front door around 9pm when I got home from a meeting. I walked around it to get a note stuck in the door, which is why I was there to notice it.  For all I know it sits outside the door every night, waiting for the bugs attracted by the porch light.  I went in and got the camera but when I came back, the little frog squeezed into a crevice.  So, no picture. I also saved a skink in the pool and let it go without demanding a picture. 

As I dripped dry, I watched birds in the oak tree.  Most were visible only when they moved, but I identified blue jays and a red bellied woodpecker. A very pale bluebird took a conspicuous perch to preen.  A mockingbird preferred beauty berries.  Later, I saw it in the hackberry tree. 

 Since the frog didn't cooperate, I took some pictures of the moon.  It was nice to have a clear night sky. 


No comments:

Post a Comment