Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Still summery

I was up before dawn so I was puzzled why I couldn't see the waning moon.  By the time I got into Norfolk it was apparent that the sky was overcast.  In fact a handful of rain droplets appeared on the windshield, but soon evaporated.  When the meeting was over, the clouds had broken apart and were dwindling.  By afternoon the sky was clear blue.  But, of course, the moon was long gone.

One or more mockingbirds hung out in the berry patch.  I only saw one at a time, but that's no proof.  A bird with a pale underside and gray-brown back, a down-curved yellow beak, spotted a worm-like critter (presumably a caterpillar) and shot across the intervening space, then shook its prey up and down.  All the while the bird kept its tail pointed down so I never got a good look, but I believe it was a yellow billed cuckoo. Toward evening, a couple of doves showed up. 

There were a few butterflies - a sulphur, a black swallowtail, and maybe a palamedes.  Southern purple mint moths were plentiful.  A large preying mantis was in the skimmer.  It seemed to be dead but sometimes insects revive.  And if not, it will feed something else.


No comments:

Post a Comment