Friday, June 4, 2021

Clearing

There was a deluge as I was returning from an early morning errand, but it became more gentle by 10am.  The Carolina wrens rushed to get their share of suet, with the bluebirds right behind.  A brown thrasher seemed scandalized by the display of greed.  The female red bellied woodpecker was a messy eater but blue jays and other birds cleaned up after her.  The white breasted nuthatches came back and even a titmouse had to have some suet.  This was absolutely the last block of it till Fall.  

At noon it was very humid.  I went out front to check how my seed plantings were doing.  One tiny feathery-leafed plant had a white star-shaped flower.  The white lily started blooming.  The freesia-like crocosmia had many more flower sprays this year.  The jasmine smelled delightful.  

In the back, a squirrel was hilarious as a would-be thief of sunflower seeds.   I believe the butterfly milkweed and the mountain mint are almost ready to bloom.  The lavender was very popular with little bumblebees.  

The sky cleared in the afternoon so I got in some pool time.  The weather hadn't produced much litter, just dead needles off the red cedar.  In quantity, they resemble a health cereal.  I added another bite to my collection of itches.  Then after supper, a thunderstorm boiled up in the North.  


No comments:

Post a Comment