Monday, June 28, 2021

Scorcher

The sky was intensely blue and the few little cumulus clouds couldn't temper the sun.  I definitely got a little crisp around the edges.  The beautyberry bush had begun to bloom.  Wild cherries were ripening and blue jays weren't waiting.  Still, it gave them something to eat besides our blueberries.  Titmice were happy with seeds and suet. 

A skink played peekaboo with me.  Later, two skinks came running my way, one chasing the other.  They froze when they noticed me, then slunk off in opposite directions.  That meant that one was still headed toward me.  It must have hoped that I was safer than the other skink. 

There were lots of dragonflies but most didn't cooperate.  I rescued a millipede.  A tiger swallowtail teased but never landed.  A duskywing skipper was in love with the mountain mint.  Of course, it had to compete with bumblebees and wasps.  I saw a leafcutter bee with its pollen-coated belly. 

Crows gathered to curse something on the ground but I was being plagued by a green-eyed fly and couldn't stay to see what the commotion was about.  A hummer visited the little feeder. A wren bustled around under the violet leaves where I couldn't get a clear look at it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment