Sunday, June 20, 2021

Overcast solstice

There was some sunshine in the late morning though the cloud cover remained.  The longest day was not the brightest and the wind discouraged fliers.  K hung the new ant moat and a block of suet.  A female bluebird soon arrived, then a Carolina wren tried to share suet with her.  The chickadees took over the comedy duties, carrying on around an oblivious cardinal.  While it was sunny and above 90°, a skink hunted something under the violet leaves then flowed across the top step and into a crack. 

Then a light rain fell from 2pm to 4pm and dropped the temperature from the 90s to the 70s.  After things dried out somewhat, I went for a swim.  A defunct swamp darner floated on the water.  I put it on the concrete to dry in case it revived.  Ants informed me that wasn't going to happen.  I also saw a damselfly that was very much alive.  When I got out, I found a spider with her ball of eggs crossing the patio.  An assassin bug nymph also found a need to cross the patio.  

A hummer visited very briefly.  I saw a house wren but wasn't fast enough with the camera.  The overcast broke apart at sunset and captured colored light.  A thin pink cloud layer fuzzed the moon.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment