Since 1/1/11 I have been describing what I see in the back yard. I occasionally digress.
Monday, August 31, 2026
Hibiscus blossom
I forgot to make an entry yesterday but it wasn't a dull day. The male goldfinch seemed to be getting a drink every time I looked. I camera-chased a tiger swallowtail. Also I've been noticing wild cherry leaves carefully sculpted by caterpillars to hide that they've been partly eaten. A spider was rafting on a sculpted leaf so I brought it to land. It spun a bit of web then launched itself up into the dogwood, at least six feet up and away. I thought it was one of the heptagonal orbweavers, but it was more brown with a butterfly shape marked in beige. Turns out it is a butterfly orbweaver Araneus pegnia. I also got pictures of the floating pine needles making occult symbols in the breeze. A buzzard flew over and a hummer visited the fresh feeder. The morning looked nice but I had a meeting. I think this may be the latest in the year that the hibiscus has bloomed. There was a hummer and a goldfinch. In the afternoon, I waited for some shade but almost waited too long and got sprinkled upon. A cicada was submerged on the top step so I fished it out. Later I carried it up the steps for a photo and it began to revive! iNaturalist identified it as a Northern dusk-singing cicada Megatibicen grossus. A frog in the skimmer seemed dead so I disposed of it. Another in the pool was bigger and fairly lively, but I caught it. A determined mosquito bit me on my face since that was all it could reach. I did my best to drown it. I saw a monarch and a little skink as I dripped off. I couldn't find any monarch caterpillars but the parsley plant I bought had a first instar black swallowtail caterpillar. There were flashes of sunshine between the thunderheads while I was outside, but thunder and real rain began before 6pm. It cleared after about half an hour.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment