There was a storm in the night that left rain in the birdbath and leaves in the pool. A brown headed nuthatch came to breakfast. Only one frog was present. I think they travel on rainy nights. No sign of the green head, thank goodness! Morning was cloudy and seemed like the sort of weather to bring out biters and their predators, but I only glimpsed a couple of dragonflies. There were more butterflies. I saw a red spotted purple, a snout, skippers, and a hairstreak. Several hummer visits might have all been the same bird. The afternoon was mostly sunny and hot. The butterfly milkweed was loaded with pods instead of caterpillars. It has not been a good year for insects. I blamed the drought but K blamed "Mosquito Joe" the bug spray poisoner of suburbia. Sunset painted a pink streak across the deepening blue sky.

No comments:
Post a Comment