Since 1/1/11 I have been describing what I see in the back yard. I occasionally digress.
Monday, August 24, 2026
Hummingbirds
The wild blue morning glories were blooming when I replaced the low-hanging hummer feeder. When I went for a morning swim, three frogs awaited me but two hopped away and only one dove into the water. I caught and released it on land too. A black swallowtail egged the gone-to-seed parsley and a dragonfly flew fast over the water while I swam. I found a tiny, pretty beetle afloat but it never revived. It was about the size of a ladybug but not so round. iNaturalist identified it as a shield-backed cryptocephalus, Cryptocephalus mutabilis.A hummer came to the little feeder but did not stay long. Maybe rainwater diluted it? A tiny orb web hung between the feeder and the post. Later, a hummer visited the 3-hole feeder and still later, two hummers argued about it. As I dripped dry, I noticed ridges in the clouds coming from the Southwest. They were perpendicular to the wind direction, sort of like ocean waves. They're classified as altostratus undulatus clouds. A red spotted purple rested on a dogwood branch. A little skink followed the edge of the concrete to cross the patio but on the way back it took a shortcut. A downy woodpecker hung below a branch it was hammering in the section of the dogwood that lost its bark and died. A titmouse fussed because I was too close to the seed feeder.
Labels:
beetle,
butterfly,
downy woodpeckers,
dragonfly,
frog,
hummingbird,
morning glory,
skink,
spider,
tufted titmice
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment