While I was in the water, I evicted two frogs and two spiders, and rescued a moth. The dragonfly nymph was still active,.swimming very fast. A thirsty squirrel dangled over the water to drink. Either that, or it was having a Narcissus moment.
Since 1/1/11 I have been describing what I see in the back yard. I occasionally digress.
Sunday, August 9, 2026
Thirsty
Another day in the 90s, but the wind shifted a couple of degrees North of due West. Chickadees and titmice were thick at breakfast. A downy joined them and a goldfinch arrived later for a drink. A hummingbird showed up at lunchtime. It sampled the milkweed as well as the sugar water. Then a Carolina wren wanted a barkbutter ball, but not until I went indoors. It was molting and looked rough. It inspected the hummer feeder too. I thought I saw a white breasted nuthatch but I never caught a picture to verify it. A fledgling cardinal came to supper. I found another little monarch caterpillar eating milkweed flowers. Three butterflies, a yellow, an orange, and a dark one, flitted over the yard but didn't give me a chance for a photo. I think the yellow was a sulphur. The orange seemed small for a monarch, so maybe a fritillary? A fiery skipper made the rounds of the mountain mint. So did the usual bees and wasps, In the afternoon, dragonflies gathered. A yellow one zoomed over me and disappeared, but a blue dasher and a widow skimmer used the perches.
Labels:
bee,
butterfly,
cardinals,
caterpillar,
downy woodpeckers,
dragonfly,
frog,
goldfinch,
hummingbird,
moth,
spider,
squirrel,
wasp,
wrens
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment