Since 1/1/11 I have been describing what I see in the back yard. I occasionally digress.
Friday, August 7, 2026
Scorching
As I drove to Chesapeake, I saw a cloud formation like a fingerprint in the sky. When I arrived it was overhead and too big for a phone photo, and when I came back outside it had dissipated. What with one thing and another, I didn't see much else till afternoon. A Carolina wren poked around under the dish feeders. The wind was still from the Southwest, but the clouds were moving much slower. Down where I was, a breeze helped alleviate the heat. A hummer perched on a stalk by its feeder, but flew off before I was focused. I spotted a skink on the step wall just as the camera battery died. I waited till late in the afternoon to swim. It wasn't buggy except for one mosquito that will never bite again. A dragonfly nymph was clinging to the pool wall. It got away from me, but I don't know what I would have done with it anyway. There were two frogs in the skimmer that I released only to have them jump back into the pool. I must have caught one three times. I got pictures of one with a passenger - I wonder if it knew? A different skink was floating in the water. It was old enough to know better. I laid it on the hot concrete to revive. It was still there when I finished my swim and I was afraid it had died, but it finally left when I wasn't looking.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment