Since 1/1/11 I have been describing what I see in the back yard. I occasionally digress.
Sunday, August 23, 2026
Sunny day
The day was quite warm but the breeze made it very pleasant. A female downy woodpecker had a seed breakfast. A Carolina wren also visited. Hummers found the new feeder, which was fortunate because the old one was empty. (I'll put the other out tomorrow.) There were at least two hummers because I saw one chase another away. I spotted one preening in the wild cherry. A bird circling very high might have been Mississippi kites. Another, I think, was a vulture. Again, there were two frogs but they didn't put up much of a chase. I rescued a spider from a mostly submerged twig. The pool steps had a lot of drowned greenhouse millipedes. A cicada's cast-off shell was lying on the patio. I also found some cicada wings that had been discarded by whatever ate one. There were plenty left to sing in the afternoon sunshine. The sky was mostly clear blue with clouds being hurried along by the West wind. Occasionally, they cast sunbeams against the upper atmosphere. I saw skinks of all sizes running errands and basking in the just right temperature. Alas, they always dodged out of sight when I moved the camera A blue dasher kept my space clear of small fliers. The butterfly milkweed had more pods developing than I have ever seen, probably because it wasn't feeding any caterpillars. I think wasps got them. Tiger swallowtails flew around the trees and a dark butterfly swooped through closer to the ground. I saw something that might have been a snout heading into the dogwood. A strange feather blew around the patio. I thought it was white till I caught it and realized it was half black. It was a big body contour feather so it came off a large bird, possibly the kite?
Labels:
butterfly,
buzzard,
cicada,
downy woodpeckers,
dragonfly,
hummingbird,
kite,
milkweed,
millipedes,
skink,
wrens
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment