Friday, September 8, 2017

Animal antics

Hummers, titmice, Carolina wrens and the regulars all came to breakfast.  The creek had the glassy morning look of fall. 

I wasted time at lunch trying to capture a zooming insect.  A snowy egret waited by the dam for lunch.  The argiope spider looked satisfied with her cherry tree.  A cicada landed on the feeder post.  Eventually it was chased off by the hummer who decided the cicada was too close to her feeder. 

I rescued a live frog from the skimmer.  It stuck its nose under the trash basket and seemed convinced it was well hidden.  And then a cricket used me for a bank shot while the skink in hot pursuit braked hard and turned tail.  A dragonfly that had perched on the stake took exception to all the goings-on and disappeared. 

A meow-like noise high in the oak which turned out to be a juvenile blue jay begging.  It's parents decided my prying camera was to much and they all flew off. Other blue jays gobbled the mealworms.  One dropped a flight feather that twirrled its descent into the water.  Squirrels scampered past me with pecans in their mouths. 

The goldfinch pair ran a con on me - she flew to a bush in front of me while he hit the feeder behind me.  Then he flew past her chirping "c'mon" and she followed chattering "didja git it?" A dove basked in the sun.  And I got a peek at the kingfisher through the vegetation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment