Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Temperature plunge

It was hot and sunny till around 2pm. Then the clouds streaming out of the Southwest got larger and darker.  Rain began around 4pm but was intermittent.  But when I headed into Norfolk at 6pm, I saw a truly scary cloud formation that looked like it was ready to start spinning.  I hit a brief wall of rain but nothing worse.  But the temperature dropped from the 80s to the 60s.

In the morning, a blue jay ate the last mealworm.  Titmice ate sunflower seeds.  Stained mouths showed the squirrels had been eating pecans.  One got up on the feeder roof and fell off into the rosebush.  A male downy woodpecker found something of interest in the dead twigs where the hummer likes to perch.  Then two female goldfinches showed up but were too shy to get any sunflower seeds.  And of course there were hummer warz. 

I used the morning sun for pool time, and a good thing I did.  I rescued a skink and three frogs and disposed of five deaders.  The Argiope in the cherry had repaired her zig-zag though it was still windy.  An assassin bug got itself trapped in the doorway web.  A painted lady flitted around over the deep end of the pool.  A black and a palamedes swallowtail each managed to stay a flutter ahead of my lens.  I could hear a kingfisher but never got a glimpse.  I did catch a brief view of a wren. 


No comments:

Post a Comment