Friday, September 29, 2017

Fall

Certainly the temperature fell overnight and the day, despite bright sun, only climbed back into the 70s. A white breasted nuthatch joined the seed feeder birds at breakfast, as did titmice.  A blue jay preferred mealworms. 

The real show was up in the trees:  I believe I saw a black-throated green warbler juvenile or female without a black throat.  Then, up popped a red-eyed vireo.  The migration was underway.

The shamrock spider seemed to be gone but the Argiope was still in place.  I found a black swallowtail caterpillar headed across the bottom of the steps and moved it over to the rose because I figured it was looking for a place to make a chrysalis.  A skipper landed on a dogwood leaf near the Argiope.  An immature mockingbird alighted in the dogwood but saw me and left.

Later on in the afternoon, a squirrel sprawled under the cedar to soak up sun.  It was that kind of day.


No comments:

Post a Comment