Sunday, September 3, 2017

Still cool

The sun was back, but both wind and water were chilly. We left early and I didn't see anything of note before lunch.  Then the hummer kept watch on her feeder. A couple of "sleepy orange" butterflies flitted past the window but did not return for a photo.

We had a plague of dead frogs - I found four in the skimmer and another five on the pool bottom.  Y U C K !  There were also many drowned crickets, both field and camel.  I was able to save a live skink though. I also fished out a honeybee and rescued a black and white jumping spider from the water and it could hardly be persuaded to leave me. 

The spartina was blooming.  I was unable to locate the three argiope spiders that had webs in the spartina, but I did find the egg sack one of them made. The bad weather might have been too much for them.  But I did find one argiope in the wild cherry, about ten feet up.  Could it have blown there from the marsh? 

The sunset tinted clouds a smoky orange.  After sunset I happened to be looking out the window when a bug tripped a thread of web and a big spider shot out of nowhere to seize it, wrap it, and carry it back to the corner where it hid.  Later a moth landed on a different window.


No comments:

Post a Comment