Sunday, September 10, 2017

Mystery

While I was finishing breakfast and reading the paper, I heard a thunk, looked up, and realized the hummer feeder had come off its hook.  The  hook screws in with quite a long thread so I was at a loss to explain why it came apart. The hummer(s) had been really hitting the sauce, so they were equally puzzled to come back for another swig and find nothing.  One looked everywhere, even in the ant moat.  Meanwhile I had put a different feeder on the table and they eventually found it.  Later K hung it from the post.

In the morning, the Northern sky was blue but South was covered by a white blanket.  The frayed edge passed overhead in line with the setting moon.  Later, individual clouds were distinct, and dark, as they rolled out of the Northeast. As I drove onto the highway in the early afternoon, I saw a hawk sitting on a light pole at the top of the ramp.The afternoon grew colder and windier and darker. 

Toward evening a couple of doves hung around the steps, but there was no repeat f yesterday's mating scene.  The hummers were really chugging the juice right up until dark.  One looked completely round, she was so full.  I guessed that she may have planned a night trip South with a strong tail wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment