Saturday, September 30, 2017

Windy

The blue jay was back for more mealworms.   Titmice, chickadees, and cardinals came for seeds.  I don't know where the house finches were.

Two red spotted purples, one tattered and one pristine, fluttered around the wild cherry trees.  And although the shamrock spider was gone, I found a huge web with a little venusta orchard spider sitting in the middle.  The Argiope remained in the cherry as the butterflies flitted around it. 

Clouds out of the North made the sun blink which kept the temperature down, and the wind made sure I felt it.  Nevertheless, I got into the pool to clear the leaves.  The water felt balmy by contrast. There were a couple of spiders in the pool, one above the water on the step, the other riding a leaf.  I rescued the latter when the leaf capsized.  Lots of black ground beetles swam till they sank.  A few snails were floating on the surface. 

 An egret landed on the dock.  A "magic" leaf floated on air and spider silk.  A bird grasshopper rested on a chair arm as I hurried my chilled body inside to get dry. 


No comments:

Post a Comment