Friday, September 1, 2017

Chilly

There was a blink of muted sunshine and a sprinkling of rain, but mostly just gray overcast and cold wind.  Titmice and hummers were hard to photograph at breakfast because of the low light.  Also I was scrambling to get to an early appointment.

I got back in the late morning and decided to have a look at the spiders over by the fig.  A white slime mold, or maybe a fungus, was growing on dirt where rain had washed away the mulch. I also found the remnant of the slime mold I saw a month ago.  Two argiope garden spiders and a spiny-back orbweaver surrounded the fig.

When K got home, we discovered a wheel bug in the garage.  It was the first I'd ever seen.

After lunch, the yard was full of birds while I was on the phone.  A downy woodpecker hammered on a dogwood across the pool.  Hummers continued their chases.  Blue jays raided the mealworms.  One was having an ugly head molt.  A couple or Carolina wrens poked into everything.  A couple of doves panicked.  A pair of goldfinches drank from the ant moat.

And soon the gray day became black night with more rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment