Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Hot sunshine

When I went into the bathroom, barely awake, a mockingbird was running back and forth on the windowsill chasing its breakfast, I assume.  At my breakfast, I thought I saw a catbird in the camellia, but I wasn't certain.  I did certainly see a house wren in the company of a Carolina wren.  A hummer was displeased with its juice.Later, I saw a skink in the garage hide itself behind too much stuff to bother trying to get it out.

At lunch, a bird grasshopper sat on the watering can handle.  I ran errands and when I came home, a couple of silver spotted skippers and a fiery skipper danced over the lantana.  A damselfly was on the birdbath but left too quickly for me to see what kind.  The pink shamrock Araneus was back after disappearing in the morning.
.
The pool water was warmer and the air very warm with only a gentle breeze.  I found two drowned skinks and a frog still kicking in the skimmer.  I rescued lots of insects from floating leaves.  There were weevily-looking beetles, ground beetles, click beetles, and a longhorn beetle.  Lots of crickets were swimming.  A sizeable dead roach was floating.  I also rescued a lovely tiger moth that then expired. 

A juvenile yellow crowned night heron caught a crab and then had difficulty eating it.  A black swallowtail flitted all over. 


No comments:

Post a Comment