Saturday, July 17, 2021

Another hot one

A female bluebird arrived for breakfast.  A skink picked its path along the brick wall.  A male goldfinch wanted wild cherries.  A great golden digger wasp dug into the butterfly milkweed. 

The pool felt like bath water.  I found a dead female pondhawk floating, but other dragonflies were lively.  I glimpsed one with spotted wings that I think was a common whitetail female.  A female blue dasher lurked behind foliage.  Some of the high fliers were hunting.  And a lovely slaty skimmer was the color of the blueberries we picked.  I spotted a very young swallowtail caterpillar on the rue. 

A sidewalk tiger beetle seemed unsure whether I might be dangerous.  Its legs looked far too thin to support its body, much less run so fast.  The bees and wasps stayed busy with the mountain mint.  The hibiscus sawflies got ahead of me because either wind or rain kept me from spraying neem oil.  A blue jay landed in the oak.  A house wren landed on the seed feeder. 

The first quarter moon floated high in the late afternoon sky.  


No comments:

Post a Comment