Thursday, July 22, 2021

Caterpillars

Four caterpillars were devouring one spindly milkweed plant so I dispersed them.  One went to what I believe is milkweed in a shady spot and two went to the butterfly weed.  I was surprised because I never saw a monarch near the plant. 

In the pool, I rescued a wasp, a scarab beetle, a tiger beetle, and I found a very small skinklet floating belly up, alas.  The big, black, mud wasp was back at the mountain mint.  It was considerably bigger than the great golden digger wasps.  I love its steely blue wings.  A variety of other wasps and bees crowded the mint and milkweed.  

The peppers, red and yellow were almost ripe.  The slime mold returned to the exact same spot as last summer, only the spot was not as shady since the vegetation was cut back.  I found more basil and caterpillars found more parsley.  

In the evening, female hummer(s) showed up at the feeder.  But some bug harassed the bird.  The hummer left and returned several times. Finally it vented frustratino on a chickadee at the seed feeder and actually chased the poor bird into the camellia.  


No comments:

Post a Comment