Friday, July 23, 2021

Bugged

I didn't have the camera at lunch so naturally nature performed.  A skink climbed half way up the feeder post, for no reason that I could see.  Fortunately it went back down before any birds noticed and decided it was part of the food.  I saw another skink on the lower patio.  A monarch flitted past the milkweed where caterpillars were hiding. 

In the afternoon, a buckeye tried the mountain mint along side many kinds of wasp.  A fiery skipper got some too.  I got some pictures of a Great Black Digger Wasp,Sphex pensylvanicus.  The only dragonfly I saw was one of the high fliers with spotted wings toward supper time.  That was odd because the mosquitoes were fairly thick by then.  

The day didn't get quite so hot, but it was dry, so I'm not sure what brought them out.  The butterfly milkweed made one seedpod from its first clump of flowers.  An inchworm hiked up the glass door.  As the light level dropped, a downy woodpecker attacked the suet.  A titmouse was next.  A Carolina wren poked around.  





No comments:

Post a Comment