Monday, July 19, 2021

Intermittent showers

A Carolina wren started the day with some suet, then a pine warbler wanted some.  A female bluebird was next, then a downy woodpecker pair.  Rain filled the ant moats and the pool to near their brims.  My only rescue was a scarab beetle but a green six-spotted tiger beetle rescued itself using one of my carefully placed sticks.  

When I got out of the pool I found an orange assassin bug nymph on the glass door.  A blue mud wasp fussed around the mountain mint but wouldn't pose for me.  The bees and wasps ranged widely in size.  But none were as big as the praying mantis I found lurking on the mountain mint.  I didn't see it catch anything so I don't know what size it preferred.  

I was surprised by the lack of dragonflies but finally a blue dasher landed on the feeder hanger.  It didn't stay.  A female cardinal acted like she was starting a nest in the camellia.  That would be a first.  

Toward evening, a blue jay took a turn at the suet.  I thought I saw a brown headed nuthatch but a chickadee bullied it and it didn't come back.  The overcast began to break apart into individual clouds.  


No comments:

Post a Comment