Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Figs!

Calamity!  The suet was empty, the barkbutter  balls were soggy, and the sugar water was diluted.  The downy woodpecker couldn't believe it.  Titmice didn't care.  A blue Jay discovered that soggy barkbutter balls had to be eaten one at a time.  The bird was none too pleased. 

A neighbor called for help and on my way back home I saw that there were ripe figs so I picked a handful. Then I noticed how ripe the yellow bell peppers had gotten so I tried to pick the small one and pulled off half the plant, including the big pepper.  The figs were delicious.  I haven't figured out what I want to do with the peppers yet.  

The Hymenoptera kept the mountain mint humming.  Mosquitoes were thick but I only saw a couple of dragonflies.  The caterpillar I transferred to the milkweed across the pool must have been satisfied as the plant was half eaten.  There was a drowned pink caterpillar in the water, but I don't know if it was pink in life.  I was just thinking that I hadn't seen any org webs when I noticed one next to the hibiscus.  It looked like an Argiope. . 

K went to the garden center and came home with two big pots of portulaca.   Most of our summer flowers were finished blooming.  K had gotten supplies to try "air layering" to convert a branch into a miniature tree.  An egret preened on a dock piling. Huge cumulus clouds built up in the South and then spread across the sun. It appeared to me that the tops of the clouds were being blown away.    I got a glimpse but no picture of two swallows. 


No comments:

Post a Comment