Sunday, July 4, 2021

Bombs bursting in air

The hibiscus burst into bloom for the holiday.   A blue jay stopped briefly.  The "Fairy Garden" seeds I scattered out front produced plants I don't recognize. 

We had company so I wasn't taking photos.  I got hit in the neck by a green eyed fly but managed to get under water before it could do much damage.  An orange butterfly, probably a fritillary, visited the asters.  I saw a mockingbird and other birds eating wild cherries.  A great crested flycatcher perched on the same branch as yesterday.  It's welcome to the green head fly.  Chickadees and titmice warily ate suet though we were nearby. 

 As soon as we went inside the birds came back.  A brown thrasher prowled the steps.  I discovered that the bluebird house was in use!  Papa brought what looked like a spider home for supper. 

Starting at sundown, the local amateur pyrotechnics terrorized the birds.  I saw an egret fleeing in the twilight while something cheeped querulously up in the oak.  It was mostly noise but I saw a couple of starbursts through the trees.  Fireflies did their best to make up the visual component. 



No comments:

Post a Comment