Wednesday, July 14, 2021

So hot!

A female bluebird wanted suet for breakfast.  The male hummer came back and while there was enough light, his ruby throat stayed in shadow.  A Carolina wren notified me to stay in the pool while it fed. 

By noon the temperature was in three digits.  A blue dasher kept watch on the pool and a saddlebags passed overhead.  I rescued innumerable grown scarab beetles, a few wasps, and a cricket.nymph.  Sidewalk tiger beetles were everywhere except in the water.  Sand wasps joined the throng on the mountain mint.  The honeybees and wasps far prefer it to the spearmint.  The were all bustling around so much that I wasted lots of pictures.  Good thing I don't need to get them developed. 

Crows chased a hawk that appeared reddish in the sun.  The hawk was only a little bigger than the crows but it was way too fast for me.  The wind strengthened and blew in afternoon clouds that lowered the heat a little.  

After dark I went outside to take pictures of the crescent moon.  Lightning flashed far off to the Northwest though the sky seemed cloudless.  


No comments:

Post a Comment