Sunday, July 18, 2021

One swallow

A Carolina wren greeted the sun with a beak full of suet.  Then a male pine warbler showed up wanting suet. 

The mountain mint was throbbing with bees and wasps.  I rescued a metallic green six-spotted tiger beetle.   A large blue tailed skink paused for a photo op.  The blue was nearly gone from its tail so I guess it was close to adulthood. 

I had noticed a complete absence of swallows this summer until I saw one today over the playground at the elementary school.  The proverb, “one swallow does not a summer make" dates back to Aristotle, I discovered.  I also saw a rabbit at the library, but it saw me too.  

The reason I had the pocket camera out was the dramatic clouds closing in from the South.  But I missed quite an impressive lightening strike. And not too much later, all that drama came raining down. 


No comments:

Post a Comment