Thursday, July 4, 2024

Wasp drama

The heat returned with sunshine in a hazy sky.  An osprey landed briefly in the pines but I wasn't ready.  A male Needham's skimmer used a bamboo perch.  A different species perched on a bare twig atop the wild cherry.  A damselfly lurked on the pool edge.  My best guess is orange bluet Enallagma signatum.  At supper, several dragonflies darted over the water.  

Bees and wasps covered the mountain mint, but a snout butterfly and a fiery skipper managed to get a share. I thought I glimpsed other butterflies but couldn't be sure.  A gray long-horned bee (Melissodes spp.) posed for me.  So did a mydas fly.  I guessed that a big insect that banged on the window was a cicada killer.  While I was in the pool a wasp flew into me and I knocked it into the water.  I rescued it very carefully.  I also saved a couple of bumblebees and many beetles.  And I evicted a few spiders. 

The two infant Argiope spiders had moved their webs a few inches.  I saw a wasp fly into the white part of each web.  I don't know if they were after the spiders or if the webs looked like something desirable, maybe a moth.  I don't think the wasps caught the spiders.  I looked up spider wasps and  they have a different body shape. 

The beautyberry was in bloom.  Goldfinches refused to visit until I was inside.  I saw the hummer flying around the sakaki. Apparently it bloomed while I was gone.  Dark clouds brought an early twilight.  The illegal fireworks started making it hard to know if there was thunder.  


No comments:

Post a Comment