Saturday, August 24, 2024

Bug

I was gone in the morning.  At lunch, a molting female cardinal looked very shabby and disheveled.  A blue jay was also a molting mess.  A bluebird kept watch on the feeders.  A mockingbird wanted barkbutter balls but was frustrated by a more aggressive blue jay.  Hummers continued to fight over their feeder.  Toward evening, a brown headed nuthatch popped in. 

A strand of web floated across the patio, catching sunlight. The two Argiopes stayed in the same spots, though I saw one run fast across its web.  A few wasps looked for fresh flowers on the mountain mint.  One blue dasher hunted from q bamboo stake perch.  Caterpillars continued to hatch on the rue.   Under one of the tables I found a huge leaf-footed bug.  There were no pool rescues. 

The fungus under the oak looked tasty but I suspect it would be more like wood.  I saw a couple of skinks but they weren't in the mood to pose.  One ran right under my chair. 


No comments:

Post a Comment