Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Tropical Storm Debby

A monarch was back at the butterfly milkweed.  The monarch's tongue was grooved like a hummingbird's.  There were caterpillars too.  They stupidly ate a seedpod.  A slaty skimmer perched briefly.  A duskywing fed on the mountain mint but I didn't see any fiery skippers.  Bees and wasps annoyed the butterflies on the milkweed and mountain mint.  I saw a couple of dark butterflies, one of which was probably a black swallowtail while the other might have been a red spotted purple. 

It was a good thing I didn't delay swimming.  I evicted a frog and rescued a mama spider, another green tiger beetle, another fig beetle, and a ladybug beetle. We decided to have lunch outside since I was still dripping.  While we ate, clouds flowed up from the South.  Not too long after we finished the first rain band from tropical storm Debby passed over.  The monarch didn't stop feeding till after I dashed indoors.  The clouds spinning around the low pressure center covered Florida to New Jersey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment